Annual Report

All corporations must provide a list of corporate officers to the Secretary of State.

Annual Report

Fee $15

Business Property Tax

Business Property Tax

Business real property (land, buildings, etc.) and business equipment are subject to an ad-valorem tax in the State of Montana. All non-exempt property is taxed based on its full market value. Different classes of property are subject to different assessment rates. As an example, real property (land and buildings) in the City and County of Butte-Silver Bow is currently taxed at 1.54% of its market value annually (prior to any incentives).

Equipment taxes

Business equipment taxes have been declining in recent years because of actions of the Legislature. In 1995, the Legislature enacted a law which results in a continued decline in business equipment property taxes. In 1999, this legislative action has resulted in a decrease in business equipment taxes to 2.39% of the market value annually, prior to the application of any tax incentives.

Tax on inventory

Business inventories, goods-in-transit, intangible assets and freeport merchandise are statutorily exempt from property taxation. In addition, business equipment belonging to qualified research and development companies may be taxed at approximately 1% of market value in perpetuity.

1099M Statement for Independent Contractors

This form is used to report business you have done with independent contractors (who are not corporations) and medical corporations. Complete Form 1099-Misc:

  • For every individual, sole proprietorship, partnership or medical corporation which you purchased $600 or more for services (not products);
  • If you purchased $5,000 or more of consumer products from a non-corporation that you intend to resell outside a permanent retail establishment;
  • If you paid a non-corporation $10 or more in royalties; or
  • If you paid a landlord $600 or more (and your landlord is not a corporation).

If you paid over $600 in interest (to a non-corporation), you must file IRS form 1099-I. To request this form, call the IRS at (800) 829-3676 or go to

Forms to use

1099-M Annual Information Form for Independent Contractors

1096 Transmittal Form

Preparing 1099s is not user-friendly. The IRS does not have a direct way to input the information online. Instead, it has authorized companies to be 1099 providers. Do a search on the Internet for current providers and prices.

How often?

Annual reporting requirement

Due date

January 31 to the recipient

February 28 to the IRS

To do it yourself

Doing it yourself is possible, but not user-friendly. You have to use official IRS forms and must prepare them using a computer or typewriter (remember those?). Here is how to do it:

Prepare 1 form for each payee.

Lines and what to do

Left side

  • Payer is your company
  • Recipient is the person you paid.
  • Payer's federal identification number is your social security number.
  • Recipients' identification number is their social security (if you paid an individual or sole proprietorship), or their SS-4 number if you paid a partnership.
  • Remember, if you paid a corporation, you do not have complete a 1099-Misc.
  • Leave "Account Number" blank unless you use vendor account numbers.

Right side

  • Fill in the relevant boxes. Here are the most commonly used.
  • 1. Rent to landlords (if you paid more than $600).
  • 7. Compensation to independent contractors for services (if you paid them more than $600).
  • 9. Check the box if you purchased over $5,000 of products for resale from this (non-corporate) vendor.

How to complete form 1096

1096 is the transmittal form. It must also be prepared on a computer or typewriter. Prepare one form to transmit all the 1099-Misc.

Lines and what to do


  1. Leave blank
  2. Your social security number
  3. Enter the number of 1099s you are enclosing
  4. 0, unless you withheld income tax (line 4 on each 1099-Misc)
  5. Add up boxes, 1,2,3,5,6,7,8, and 10 for all the 1099-Misc's Usually all but 1 and 7 are 0.

Bottom Check box 1099-MISC - 95

How to submit

  1. Mail Copy A of 1099-M (the red page) to the IRS with transmittal Form 1096
  2. Mail or deliver Copy B and Copy 2 to the receipient (the person or company you paid)
  3. Keep copy C for your records
  4. The IRS will automatically send your 1099-M information to the state tax authority.

A few more rules $50 fine for ignoring these rules:

  • Type forms - regular type style
  • Use original forms - no copies
  • Submit entire 8 x 11 page - don't cut it up
  • Don't staple
  • Don't use dollar signs, commas or other symbols, except you should use decimal points to show dollars and cents.

Questions? For forms call (800) 829-3676. You cannot obtain original forms from the Internet. For information, call (800) 829-4933 or read Publication 937 Business Reporting.

Disclaimer & Terms of Use

This site and its links offer information that is intended only as guidance. Personal conditions and circumstances should shape decisions about what types of decisions are appropriate for an individual business. Our site is not intended to be a source of legal advice. We strongly suggest that entrepreneurs obtain professional legal, accounting, and tax advice before any business.

We do not accept responsibility for any loss associated directly or indirectly from information obtained through our site. This website is provided as a public service. Although we make every effort to assure that the information provided is up-to-date, the user should always verify the appropriateness and accuracy of the information.

Neither the host nor the sponsors, nor any of their employees makes any warranty, express or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, or assumes any legal liability for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information from this server or the links provided.

Links to outside websites

In order to provide users with the most accurate, up-to-date information, we provide outside links to the original source. We are not responsible for the content, nor the timeliness of content on these outside links. Linking to an outside website does not imply an endorsement of any products or services offered by that website.

Disclaimer of Endorsement

Any reference to a specific commercial product, process, or service does not constitute or imply an endorsement by the host or the sponsors of the product, service, or its producer or provider.

FAQ, What we do, and What we don’t do

Can I get business counseling?

We do not provide business counseling. We do direct business owners and potential entrepreneurs to organizations that can give them free or low-cost one-on-one help,

Are we bound by a contract?

The Resources is a subscription that a client can cancel at any time.

Will you add local links or new national resources upon request?

If clients have new local, state, or national business assistance links that they would like to have on their Resources site, we are happy to make that happen. There is no charge for this service. We do not add local demographics or business attraction material on the Resources. Those are best left to the client’s main website.

Will you take off any links we don’t like?

We will remove any links our clients do not want on their site. Adding or removing links can happen at any time. There is no cost for this.

Can we make changes in the style of our layout?

Our Tech & Design Team can make most changes, but some elements are tied into our national system. Just ask.

Can we pay quarterly or monthly?

Certainly. We can invoice you quarterly. If you want to pay monthly, you need to set that up with your bank.

Who maintains our site?

We do all the maintenance of your pages. We do not go into a client’s site to make changes on their link or homepage. All of The Resources is actually on our database and server.